Nylon Mississippi - State Flag - For Outdoor Use
IN STOCK. Limited Quantities available.
- 100% Made in the USA - This means that our flags are manufactured and assembled here in the USA, with materials made in the USA. Made in the USA has been our guiding principle since Flags USA was established in 1987.
- Heading and Grommet Style - This flag has a sturdy duck cloth heading and two #2 solid brass grommets.
Do you have a question about flags, flag accessories, or flagpoles?
Here at Flags USA, American-made flags and flag accessories have been our specialty since we opened our doors over thirty years ago. Our goal is to see that you are equipped with the flags and accessories that best suit your needs. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at 866-879-1776.
Mississippi - Flag Facts
Mississippi was granted statehood on December 10, 1817.
In 1861, Mississippi voted to secede from the Union. For a few weeks the Bonnie Blue flag was flown until the Mississippi secession convention adopted a design which contained a Magnolia tree on a white background with the Bonnie Blue star on a blue background in the upper left corner (canton). In addition, they flew the flags of the Confederate States of America from 1861 to 1865.
In 1894 Mississippi legislation authorized a committee to design an official state flag. The flag contains:
- three horizontal stripes (blue, white, red)
- the upper left corner (canton) is a red square (its height is equivalent to the two top stripes)
- within the square is what is usually called the Confederate battle flag, or the "union square"
- the canton has a red background with a blue cross, bordered in white, and thirteen, five-pointed stars
Over the years, a number of changes in the design have been proposed with the intention of removing the Confederate battle flag from the Mississippi flag. In 2001 a new design was proposed and voted on. The original 1984 flag was approved by a vote of nearly 2 to 1.
Pledge to the Mississippi State Flag:
"I salute the flag of Mississippi and the sovereign state for which it stands with pride in her history and achievements and with confidence in her future under the guidance of Almighty God."